July 11, 2009
Dr. Ben Goertzel is Chief Scientist of financial prediction firm Aidyia Holdings; Chairman of AI software company Novamente LLC and bioinformatics company Biomind LLC; Chairman of the Artificial General Intelligence Society and the OpenCog Foundation; Vice Chairman of futurist nonprofit Humanity+; Scientific Advisor of biopharma firm Genescient Corp.; Advisor to the Singularity University and Singularity Institute; Research Professor in the Fujian Key Lab for Brain-Like Intelligent Systems at Xiamen University, China; and general Chair of the Artificial General Intelligence conference series.
His research work encompasses artificial general intelligence, natural language processing, cognitive science, data mining, machine learning, computational finance, bioinformatics, virtual worlds and gaming and other areas. He has published a dozen scientific books, 100+ technical papers, and numerous journalistic articles. Before entering the software industry he served as a university faculty in several departments of mathematics, computer science and cognitive science, in the US, Australia and New Zealand. He has three children and too many pets, and in his spare time enjoys creating avant-garde fiction and music, and exploring the outdoors.
- See blog posts by this author:
- Singularity or Bust award-winning documentary now free online
- AI and Ethiopia: an unexpected synergy
- H+ Summit @ Harvard: The Rise of the Citizen Scientist
- Report from the Alcor-40 conference
- Report on the fourth conference on artificial general intelligence
- Russia 2045: will the Singularity be launched in Russia?
- The real reasons we don’t have AGI yet
- Watson: supercharged search engine or prototype robot overlord?
- Will corporations prevent the Singularity?
- See selected books by this author:
- A Cosmist Manifesto: Practical Philosophy for the Posthuman Age
- Artificial General Intelligence
- Best of H+ Magazine, Vol.1: 2008--2010
- Between Ape and Artilect: Conversations with Pioneers of Artificial General Intelligence and Other Transformative Technologies
- Evidence for Psi: Thirteen Empirical Research Reports