July 11, 2009
Dr. Michio Kaku is an internationally recognized authority in theoretical physics and also the environment. He holds the Henry Semat Professorship in Theoretical Physics at the City College and the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. His goal is to help complete Einstein’s dream of a "theory of everything," a single equation, perhaps no more than one inch long, which will unify all the fundamental forces in the universe. He has lectured around the world and his Ph.D. level textbooks are required reading at many of the top physics laboratories. He has written 9 books; his last two books, Hyperspace and Visions, became international bestsellers, and have been widely translated into different languages. He hosts a weekly hour-long radio program on science on several stations around the country, and his commentaries on science can be heard on 60 radio stations nationwide.
Dr. Kaku graduated from Harvard in 1968, summa cum laude, and number one in his physics class. He received a Ph.D. from the Univ. of Calif. at Berkeley Radiation Laboratory in 1972. He held a lectureship at Princeton University in 1973. He then joined the faculty at the City Univ. of New York, where he has been a professor of theoretical physics for 25 years. He has been a visiting professor at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, and also New York University.
He has published over 70 physics articles in physics journals which include superstring theory, super gravity, supersymmetry, and hadronic physics. He is the cofounder of string field theory. He also wrote the first paper on conformal supergravity and the breakdown of supersymmetry at high temperatures.
- See essays by this author:
- Parallel universes, the Matrix, and superintelligence
- See selected books by this author:
- Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100
- Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel
- The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind