Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World
October 5, 2010
- Don Tapscott, Anthony D. Williams
- Portfolio Hardcover (9/28/2010)
Amazon | In their 2007 bestseller, Wikinomics Don Tapscott and Anthony Williams showed the world how mass collaboration was changing the way businesses communicate, create value, and compete in the new global marketplace. Now, in the wake of the global financial crisis, the principles of wikinomics have become more powerful than ever.
Many of the institutions that have served us well for decades or centuries seem stuck in the past and unable to move forward. And yet, in every corner of the globe, a powerful new model of economic and social innovation is sweeping across all sectors-one where people with drive, passion, and expertise take advantage of new Web-based tools to get more involved in making the world more prosperous, just, and sustainable.
Tapscott and Williams show that in over a dozen fields-from finance to health care, science to education, the media to the environment-we have reached a historic turning point: cling to the old industrial-era paradigms or use collaborative innovation to revolutionize not only the way we work, but how we live, learn, create, govern, and care for one another. You’ll meet innovators such as:
* An Iraq veteran whose start-up car company is “staffed” by over 4,500 competing designers and supplied by microfactories around the world
* A microlending community where 570,000 individuals help fund new ventures-from Angola to Vietnam
* An online community for people with life-altering diseases that also serves as a large-scale research project
* An astronomer who is mapping the universe with the help of 250,000 citizen scientists
Tapscott and Williams once again use original research to provide vivid new examples of organizations that are successfully embracing the principles of wikinomics to change the world.