The 3rd AISB Workshop: “The Emergence of Consciousness”
Dates: May 9, 2013
Location: Twickenham, London
- The Centre for Bioethics and Emerging Technologies (CBET)
- Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour (AISB)
As part of the AISB Members workshop series.
Consciousness is sometimes thought to be a special attribute of humans, but what exactly do we mean by it? If we know what it is, how did it emerge (if indeed it did), and when and why? Is there a continuum between consciousness and non-consciousness? Should we distinguish between consciousness and self-consciousness in trying to answer these questions? What do fields such as philosophy, cognitive science, evolutionary psychology, palaeoanthropology, neuroscience and cognitive archaeology have to contribute to these questions? This one-day workshop brings together a multidisciplinary team to examine these issues, with opportunities for discussion.
Example Topics of Interest
- Philosophical Issues
- Computational-Philosophical Issues
- Cognition and cognitive science
- Neuroscience and neural networks
- Psychology and evolutionary psychology