White House announces ‘We the Geeks: Asteroids’ Google Hangout Friday
May 29, 2013
This Friday, an asteroid nearly three kilometers wide is going to pass by the Earth-Moon system.
To mark the event, on Friday, May 31st at 2pm EDT, the White House will host the second in a series of “We the Geeks” Google+ Hangouts to talk asteroids with experts, according to a White House annoncement.
The President’s new budget calls for increased efforts by NASA to detect and mitigate potentially hazardous asteroids, and NASA is studying a robotic mission to capture and bring a small asteroid into a stable orbit just beyond the Moon. Those efforts could eventually lead to a crewed mission to rendezvous with and return samples from the redirected asteroid.
Participants in the hangout on the White House Google+ page:
- Lori Garver, Deputy Administrator, NASA
- Bill Nye, Executive Director, Planetary Society
- Ed Lu, former astronaut and CEO, B612 Foundation
- Peter Diamandis, Co-Founder and Co-Chairman, Planetary Resources
- Jose Luis Galache, Astronomer at the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center